Om jezelf hier te registreren op PPO.NU stuur een e-mail naar registraties @ ppo.nu dan krijgt u per kerende een registratie link in de mail. (Leden die al geregistreerd waren op het vorige Vbulletin forum, kunnen met de login en paswoord van toen ook hier inloggen)

Heated filter?

Gentenaar PPO Newbie
edited September 2007 in Algemene Techniek
http://www.separ-filter.de/index.php?main_topic=products&sub_topic=separ_heat

I am sorry, that I write in English, the translator on Netherlands from Russian yet have not added on www.translate.ru. As I have understood one of the basic problems of application of vegetable oil as fuel its viscosity which is solved by heating is. Whether so is better to use the given filter, than to complicate a design of a fuel highway? Or I already was late and where that here this information was mentioned? Thanks.

Comments

• smulsmul Livin' and Breathin' PPO
    edited September 2007
    @ Gentenaar:

This type of heather you posted the link of, is an elektric one. This may be usefull for a short time after starting your engine but not for a long time (+ 5 minutes). It may be more handy to us a heather warmed by the coolingwater of the engine. Also, one possibility is to use it in combination with the elektric heather. After the engine is warm, you turn of the elektric heather.
  • Gentenaar PPO Newbie
    edited September 2007
    This filter maintains constant temperature in area +5 +10 C and is not disconnected in 5 minutes, read through more closely. I think will not make special complexities to make to an operating microcircuit of change of a temperature operating mode, approximately +40+50 C therefore as the limiting operating mode of the filter at which will be disconnected power supplies +80 C.

Yours faithfully,
    Gentenaar
  • ingmaringmar Livin' and Breathin' PPO
    edited September 2007
    Hej Guys,

Albeit not specified, but what about the size of this magnificient device ?
    Ok, if you drive a LeoII tank, you will have some space left under the bonnet, but for a car....Some cars even have problems to fit a heat exchanger into.
    I estimate the heigth to be at least 30 cm and it has to be fitted vertically, furthermore the figure 2000 stands for 2000 Watts. This means that you will either need a second battery to heat it up prior to starting, and at least a generator to cater for the extra power.

My opinion, OK for bigger verhicles, stationary engines, but not for a car.
    I do agree with Smul, that an electric heater combined with (waste) heat from the cooling system is the solution for this.

Cheers,
    Ingmar
  • CarloCarlo Livin' and Breathin' PPO
    edited September 2007
    I think this device is very usefull for us, as an electrical heater and filter.
    Nevertheless ALWAYS use the waste heat from the engine! (heat exchanger)
    And what about the price? How much is it :?:
  • ingmaringmar Livin' and Breathin' PPO
    edited September 2007
    OK Carlo,

Guess that an LT has a little more space under the bonnet, but I would not be suppriced if the price tag includes more than 3 digits.

Ingmar
  • MiglowieMiglowie Livin' and Breathin' PPO
    edited September 2007
    What I read about it is that it is only functional until the fuel temperature reaches 10°C. With 10°C your vegetable oil is still way to thick to provide a secure and safe operation of your fuel pump. The viscosity will have dropped enough at around 70°C, where in my opinion any temperature over 50°C should be ok.

Of course you can modify the temperature switches to be always operational, but if 2000 stands for 2000Watts electrical heating power, this will be a SERIOUS drain, if not death stroke on your battery and generator.

Furthermore, your waste heat of the cooling can be multiple Megawatts, which come for free, without using any extra fuel. Therefore a properly isolated heat-exchanger on coolingwater will gain you much more heat then this electrical ever will. It is indicated in the article description that it is mainly to be used in trucks, buses or stationary engines, so not ordinary cars.
  • Gentenaar PPO Newbie
    edited September 2007
    SWK--2000/5/50/h consumes 250 watt. The price dear, 400 euros. It is necessary to look for analogues.
  • MiglowieMiglowie Livin' and Breathin' PPO
    edited September 2007
    400euros is way too much for electrical heating of only 250 watts. In comparison, a heated fuel filter will cost you 119 euros ex shipping, but will deliver you 340 watts of heating. In combination with a water heated filter or/and a heat exchanger you should be able to get much more heating power for 400 euros at for instance www.dieselumbau.de
  • CarloCarlo Livin' and Breathin' PPO
    edited September 2007
    Right; so unless you're a miljonaire or you own a large truck, don't buy it.
    BTW, working under the bonnet of an LT is a pain in the arch, space is VERY limited :cry: